Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dragonfly surprise



Here's another case of serendipity. I went to Cambridge Botanic Gardens this week, and spent most of the time at the Fenland pond. This dragonfly was laying eggs. It would land on a lily pad, dip its tail over the edge and feel around for a stem to lay an egg on, then move on. I took several pictues of it, and this is not the best, by any means - it's a bit blurred and out of focus. But it is the most interesting. Because it was only when I veiwed it at home later that I noticed something on the twig in the top right of the picture, behind the dragonfly's wing. If I'm not mistaken, it's a dragonfly larva, just crawled out of the water, ready to shed its underwater skin!

Canon 60D with Canon EF-S 18-200mm at 200mm, 1/160 sec at f/8, ISO 320

No comments:

Post a Comment