Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Danger in the skies



This shot is awful. It's out of focus. It's badly composed. So why am I including it here? It was one of those amazing moments finding an "Easter egg" in a picture, that balance out the more frequent disappointments of checking what you've taken and finding you've missed the moment, or it was out of focus, or something else spoiled the shot. I spotted some sudden movement, and I thought I would get some shots of widfowl in the air, so I started snapping. But I was in manual focus, and it took me a couple of shots to get it adjusted right. Fortunately, I didn't go back and delete the out of focus shots immediately, because when I viewed this one back home on the computer, I saw for the first time why the birds had taken off - there at the top of the frame, is a Marsh Harrier.

No amount of processing, in Lightroom or any other package, could compensate for this shot being so out of focus, so I didn't even try. I just re-cropped it to juxtapose the Harrier with the startled wildfowl, and left it at that.

Canon 60D with Tamron 70-300mm at 300mm, 1/1000 sec at f/7.1, ISO 320

No comments:

Post a Comment