Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Something Stoatally different



Here's another shot from Welney Wildfowl Reserve. Just as we were leaving the hide, I saw movement on the opposite bank of the ditch that runs the length of the reserve. Fortunately, I still had my camera to hand, lined up a shot and caught a stoat looking straight at me! I know it's a stoat, because the next shot I took of it running along the bank included its tail, which had a dark tip, whereas a weasel's tail is plain brown. Stoatally amazing ;-)

My settings were a bit of a mess for this shot. I generally shoot in Manual mode, but with Auto ISO. This means I control both the shutter speed and the aperture, but the camera sets the ISO to end up with a reasonable overall exposure. I would normally check all three values are where I want them, but I didn't have time to change anything from shooting birds from the hide, so I ended up with ISO 1000, and therefore more noise than I would like. Still, I'm glad the shot came out at all!

Canon 60D with Tamron 70-300mm at 168mm, 1/1000 sec at f/7.1, ISO 1000

No comments:

Post a Comment